We eat grilled salmon once a week and I might have a bit leftover. I usually scramble it into my morning eggs but this week I used the leftovers to make one of my favorite dishes, salmon cakes. It was FABULOUS! I drizzled a delicious cilantro-lime sauce over the top made from my homemade Foolproof Mayo with a Zing. This recipe made six cakes about 3″ circles each. You can use fresh grilled salmon or canned in water and drained. Gluten-free bread crumbs are simple for me. I usually keep the last few pieces of my homemade Century bread and dry them out on the counter for a few days. I use my food processor and grind the dried slices then store them in the freezer. You can also take a few pieces of your favorite gluten-free bread and toast them while you make the salmon patties then process the toasted pieces. 4 pieces should be enough.
I’m saving the leftovers for breakfast. Going to create some salmon cake eggs Benedict…with cilantro hollandaise sauce. Sounds good right? Keep your eyes peeled for this next recipe for sure. While you’re waiting, mix up a batch of these Cilantro Lime Salmon Cakes. They were so delicious and easy. You’ve got a full meal deal in 25 minutes.
Cilantro Lime Salmon Cakes
- 12-14 oz of cooked salmon
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ fresh jalapeño cleaned and diced
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning or Seafood seasoning
- 1 tsp horseradish
- ¼ tsp of red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- Lettuce cleaned and chopped
- Red onions
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- Avocado oil
- Step 1 Place salmon, cilantro (reserve 1 tablespoons for the sauce), diced jalapeño, 3 tablespoons of lime juice, Old Bay seasoning or Seafood Seasoning, horseradish, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, breadcrumbs, and 2 eggs in a medium bowl. Mix together until well blended.
- Step 2 Heat avocado oil in a large frying pan. Avocado oil can take higher heat and not burn.
- Step 3 Shape salmon mixture into patties. I used a measuring cup to shape into circles. Then smashed them down a bit while frying. I cooked 3 at a time so I could flip them easier.
- Step 4 Once they are toasty on both sides set them on paper towels to drain while you fry up the remaining batch.
- Step 5 For the sauce: Mix mayo with the remaining tablespoon of chopped cilantro, the remaining tablespoon of lime juice and a bit of avocado oil. Use pepper and salt to taste.
- Step 6 Place the warm salmon cakes on top of a bed of lettuce covered in red onions and a sliced hardboiled egg. Drizzle the lime mayo sauce over the top. Serve with sliced limes and additional cilantro. AMAZINGLY good!