I am always reading labels and mayo is one thing that is a sneaky thing on the grocery shelves…filled with no-no things. But making it at home was scary and so I decided to give it a try. Thanks to The Healthy Foodie she gave the confidence to try. BUT as always I had to spice it up!
The biggest complaint I get from people who try to make this recipe or any other homemade mayo is they tend to use pure olive oil! Big mistake. It is too strong for homemade mayo. The best oils I’ve found after many mistakes have been light olive oil or avocado oil. One more tip. It’s best to find a jar with a narrow mouth that your immersion blender can fit snuggly in. This gives a narrow cavity for the emulsion to stay tight and make thick creamy mayo!
Want to jazz it up? Try adding one or more of the following to your final product. This will change your meal forever:
- Cholula or Crystal hot sauce
- Mexican seasoning
- Juice from half a lime
- Thai seasoning
- Diced cilantro
- Herb de Provence oil
- Old bay seasoning
- Horseradish & diced red radishes
FOOLPROOF MAYO WITH A ZING!
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 juiced fresh lemon
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 fresh Bio large egg
- 1 tsp ground horseradish
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Step 1 Before you begin, check the options at the bottom for spiking this baby up!
- Step 2 In a narrow jar, place your oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mustard and egg, and horseradish.
- Step 3 Let it sit for a minute while you get out your immersion blender.
- Step 4 Place your immersion blender on the bottom of the jar. DO NOT TURN IT ON until it is resting on the bottom of the jar.
- Step 5 Turn it on and keep the immersion blender sung on the bottom and count to 20 VERY slowly.
- Step 6 After 20 seconds, slowly raise the immersion blender about 1 inch and slowly down then raise it 2 inches and down not losing the suction. Slowly incorporate the oil on the top by lowering and raising the blender.
- Step 7 Ta-da!