I made it to my favorite organic meat stand at the Market this Saturday in time to get the last whole chicken. I needed some warm bone broth in this cold weather. Plus, a nice fresh chicken for my Crockpot Italian Whole Chicken recipe. Really folks, “two birds with one stone” (No pun intended). The abundance of tasty, healthy fresh chicken bone broth. Plus, my Italian chicken leftovers were to die for as well! So simple, and this recipe can make a week’s worth of yummy!
You can cook up a whole chicken as you like or check out my Crockpot Whole Italian Chicken recipe…just keep those bones for the delicious Chicken Boney Broth! This batch made me six 3-cup storage packages. You can cook this baby upright on top of your stove, but why not turn on the crockpot when you leave for work or hit the hay? Don’t forget to add some pea powder protein or your favorite collagen to take it up a notch.
This soup is really up to you! I’ve added my own fresh herbs, but just do your thing. Add lemon or not…be creative! You can flavor it how you like, but I like to keep it savory and simple, so I can add seasoning later to compliment my cuisine. I leave my fresh ingredients in large chunks, so running the cooked broth through the colander captures all the ingredients and gives me pure broth.
Oh, by the way, check out my Asian Veggie Bone Broth. It’s made from this same Crockpot Chicken Boney Broth recipe.
CROCKPOT CHICKEN BONEY BROTH
- 1 boned chicken carcass
- 2-3 liters water
- 1 small cut carrots
- 2 stalks cut celery
- 2 large cut onions red or white
- 1 whole garlic bud shelled and cut in half.
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes or cayenne pepper optional
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley or 1/2 tsp dry
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary and other fresh or dry herbs.
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp turmeric.
- 2 Tbsp protein powder or organic collagen (optional)
- Step 1 De-bone the meat from your chicken as much as possible. It makes it easier to de-bone when it is warm. Use a large crockpot..
- Step 2 Place the veggies, bones, and water in a large crockpot. Add the salt and pepper and seasonings.
- Step 3 Add the diced garlic and lemon juice.
- Step 4 Sprinkle in the turmeric.
- Step 5 Sprinkle in the protein or organic collagen. Give it a good stir and turn the crockpot on low and cook for 8-10 hours.
- Step 6 Once cooked and cooled, pour the soup through a colander with small holes to remove bones, veggies, and pieces of seasonings. The smaller, the better. This way, you will have pure bullion for making sauces, gravies, and other flavored dishes needing a broth.
- Step 7 Toss the remains away or reserve the veggies for your dinner! You can always add them to a nice bowl of your homemade broth! Store in freezer containers or canning jars.