I’m fortunate to have an open market providing bio beef and bones. We dashed to the market Saturday to gather some essentials for the quarantine we will be facing here in Germany, and I created a nice list of things I’d need to make nutritious and safe foods for my husband and me. I purchased a bag of bones and prepared a gallon of broth. I froze it in separate containers so I could use it in my soups and sauces.
Pretty simple and especially if you use your crockpot. I put all the ingredients in the pot at 3 pm and left it on low until the next day at 3 pm, basically 24 hours. It was so delicious.
One of Germany’s cool things is the way they create combined packages of herbs and veggies just for making soup. I picked up one of those, but you can add your own favorite veggies and herbs. I used a large crockpot, so you will have to adjust the water to the size of the crockpot you have. I do fill mine with water 2 inches from the top! Just a quick note, you can also leave out the beef bones and make this a veggie broth as well.
Don’t forget to add some pea powder protein or your favorite collagen to take it up a notch.
- 3-4 Bio Beef Bones
- 2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 piece of celery root or 4 stalks of celery
- 1 large leek
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of chili flakes
- dash of oregano
- 1-2 bay leaves
- juice from a lemon
- Step 1 Wash all ingredients including the bones. Be careful not to dislodge the marrow from the bones.
- Step 2 Peel the celery root and cut in chunks.
- Step 3 Cut all veggies in large chunks.
- Step 4 Place the water in your crockpot about 2″ from the top.
- Step 5 Add all the bones, veggies, and herbs, spices, and collagen or pea protein powder.
- Step 6 Cook on low for 24 hours or more.
- Step 7 Use a strainer and strain the soup. Discard what remains in the strainer. You can use this to mix with dog food!
- Step 8 Store in individual containers. I usually place 3-4 cups in a container.
- Step 9 Freeze and remove in the morning the day you will use it. Please keep it in the fridge to thaw.