One of the hardest things for me on this eating adventure is avoiding grains. I try to stay away from them but sometimes…you just got to have a bite of pasta. All my recipes that call for pasta I use gluten-free but they do contain rice and some corn! I limit how much I eat and try to keep it down to once or twice a month. The same goes for rice. Usually, I use zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice.
This one recipe I created while we were traveling. We stayed in an AirB&B and there was no spiral for the zucchini so I choose gluten-free pasta. Seasonings were taken care of by my amazing gift from my mother. She found it at Trader Joes years ago. It’s a case of 20 different seasonings and is my must-have travel companion! Plus this recipe is a stovetop dish, no oven necessary. Most hotels have a small kitchenette so dig in my friends even when you travel!
Asparagus Chicken Pasta
- 4 servings gluten-free pasta or zucchini noodles
- 1 batch green asparagus
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2-4 sprigs fresh basil chopped
- 1 cloves garlic diced
- 1-2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup olives black or green or both
- 2 small carrots sliced
- 3-4 small tomatoes sliced
- 4-5 fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1-3 tsp Sambal Oelek or hot sauce
- 2 large Chicken Breast sliced 1
- Step 1 If you’re using gluten-free pasta, begin boiling the water now. Gluten-free pasta takes 7-10 minutes to cook in boiling water so, get that going while you begin the dish. See note below if using Zucchini noodles. Gather all your ingredients. Clean and wash them.
- Step 2 Dice the meat and veggies. I happened to find a fresh zucchini and added that to the mix on the way. Seriously, use whatever veggies you have on hand.
- Step 3 In a medium saucepan, place the olive oil, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Simmer on low until combined about 2-3 minutes.
- Step 4 Add the diced garlic. Give it a toss.
- Step 5 Add the diced basil. Give this a toss.
- Step 6 Turn heat to medium stir for a minute and then add the chicken.
- Step 7 Simmer the chicken until the outside is white. About 5 minutes.
- Step 8 After 5 minutes, add the Sambal Oelek to the chicken.
- Step 9 Squeeze in the juice from a whole lime.
- Step 10 Place the prepared diced veggies on top of the chicken. Hold off on the asparagus…
- Step 11 Stir mixing the veggies and chicken until well mixed.
- Step 12 Add the asparagus on the top and cover with a lid. Cook for 7-10 minutes while you boil the pasta.
- Step 13 When the pasta is done, drain it and plate up your dish taking the asparagus first.
- Step 14 Then add a generous helping of the chicken, veggies, and sauce. Add salt and pepper and a bit of parmesan if using cheese.
- Step 15 If you’ve made too much or want to keep seconds warm, place the remaining asparagus inside the extra drained pasta and cover with a lid to stay warm.