I’m so fortunate to have an open market that provides bio beef and bones. We made a dash to the market Saturday to gather some essentials for the quarantine we will be facing here in Germany and I created a nice list of things that I’d need to make nutritious and safe foods for both my husband and me. I purchased a bag of bones and prepared a gallon of broth. I froze it in separate containers so I could use it in my soups and sauces.
Pretty simple and especially if you use your crockpot. I put all the ingredients in the pot at 3 pm and left it on low until the next day at 3 pm, basically 24 hours. It was so delicious.
One of the cool things in Germany is the way they create combine packages of herbs and veggies just for making soup. I picked up one of those but you can add your own favorite veggies and herbs. I used a large crockpot so you will have to adjust the water to the size of the crockpot you have. I do fill mine with water 2 inches from the top! Just a quick note, you can also leave out the beef bones and make this a veggie broth as well.
Don’t forget to add some pea powder protein or your favorite collagen to take it up a notch.
- 3-4 Bio Beef Bones
- 2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 piece of celery root or 4 stalks of celery
- 1 large leek
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of chili flakes
- dash of oregano
- 1-2 bay leaves
- juice from a lemon
- Step 1 Wash all ingredients including the bones. Be careful not to dislodge the marrow from the bones.
- Step 2 Peel the celery root and cut in chunks.
- Step 3 Cut all veggies in large chunks.
- Step 4 Place the water in your crockpot about 2″ from the top.
- Step 5 Add all the bones, veggies, herbs, spices, and collagen or pea protein powder.
- Step 6 Cook on low for 24 hours or more.
- Step 7 Use a strainer and strain the soup. Discard what remains in the strainer. You can use this to mix with dog food!
- Step 8 Store in individual containers. I usually place 3-4 cups in a container.
- Step 9 Freeze and remove in the morning the day you will use it. Keep it in the fridge to thaw.