This was my side dish for our family Christmas dinner this year and since the invention of this amazing side dish, I have decided I’m not going to wait a year to enjoy it again. So easy to make and just the right tang! The pumpkin seeds with cranberries really set off the flavors. For a vegan or vegetarian dish just leave out the bacon.
Mustard Pumpkin Seed Brussel Sprouts
- 1-2 pounds Brussel sprouts washed and slightly steamed
- 1/2 package organic bacon diced-if using organic, add a tsp of avocado oil
- 1/4 cup of bacon grease from the fried bacon
- 2 diced green onions
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 1 tsp honey
- Himalayan salt & fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup organic cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional)
- Step 1 Wash and cut the Brussel sprouts in half. Steam them in a large saucepan until slightly tender.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, fry your bacon and retain 1/4 cup of the grease. Don’t forget you might have to add avocado oil if you’re using organic bacon. Set it aside on a paper towel to drain.
- Step 3 Add the diced green onions, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, and honey in a small saucepan and simmer with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Place the slightly steamed Brussel sprouts in a large baking dish.
- Step 5 Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of reserved bacon grease over the top of the Brussel sprouts. Give it a good toss.
- Step 6 Add the cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Give it a good toss.
- Step 7 Add the drained diced bacon and toss it again!
- Step 8 Drizzle the mustard sauce over the Brussel sprouts and incorporate all the goodies with another toss.
- Step 9 Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese. I served my portion without the cheese and it was just as AMAZING!
- Step 10 Place under the broiler and cook until the dish is bubbling about 15 minutes.