I could live off gluten-free appetizers and plan to do just that this Christmas! Our family tends to make holidays a marathon of eating, and I love to bring my gluten, soy, and dairy-free appetizers. So, when dinner rolls around, I have no problem pushing away foods that don’t work for me.
One of my favorite appetizers to bring along is my Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms. These are a meal in themselves, but at the same time, they make an amazing impression for holiday starters. My other all-time favorite is hummus and veggies. I’ve experimented with several versions and will share them all in time, but this one is perfect for the holidays.
Pumpkin is bountiful in the fields, and the smell is in the air these days, so why not! I like making my pumpkin puree and freezing it in small portions. Then it’s ready whenever a recipe calls for pumpkin purees, like my Red Curry Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Bread, or this Spicy Pumpkin Hummus. Slice up some seasonal veggies or whip up a batch of my Chili Pepper Crackers and dig in. I can’t say I’ve invented this amazing combination, but the little extras I add make this one stand out among its competitors!
SPICY PUMPKIN HUMMUS
- 1 15 ounces can chickpeas or home cooked-reserve the juice
- 1/4 cups pumpkin puree store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2-3 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 small fresh green jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1/4 cups cilantro diced
- 1 Tbsp whole Chickpeas for the top
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for the top
- 1 tsp cilantro for the top
- Step 1 Simple dimple…place the drained chickpeas (reserve the juice and use to thin the consistency if needed), pumpkin puree, lime juice, tahini, garlic, olive oil, curry, cumin, red chili flakes and salt in a food processor. Puree until it is smooth and well incorporated. If too thick, slowly add some of the reserved chickpea juice.
- Step 2 Once smooth, remove it from the food processor and place it in your serving bowl. Stir in the chopped jalapeño and diced cilantro.
- Step 3 Top with a few chickpeas, olive oil and a sprinkle of diced cilantro. Cut up your favorite veggies or serve with gluten-free crackers and enjoy!