This recipe is a version of my luscious Orange Dreamsicle Pie. I did a Valentine Cooking Class this month and decided EVERYONE needed to try the fantastic versatile recipe. So I created a piggyback recipe using a whole lemon instead of an orange. The attendees made individual Lemon Drops with gluten-free gram cracker crusts. You can top them off with some Monk powdered sugar or Coconut Whipped Cream. These were the hit of the party! Well, at least one of the fantastic sweeties we whipped up that day. I’m confident the attendees will be hunting both recipes and finding other ways to adapt this basic filling.
So Let’s begin. First, you’ll need to prepare the Orange Dreamsicle Pie filling, and instead of using the orange, wash a large lemon, cut it into pieces, and remove the seeds. Next, you’ll have to create a pie crust. I happened to have a packet of gluten-free gram crackers and added a little ground flaxseed and butter for this recipe. You can use your crust recipe or choose one of the below recipes for the crust. Just mix it, roll it out, and use a small cookie cutter to make individual crusts for the paper cupcake holders. Try it out with these deliciously tart Lemon Drops. If you have a favorite crust recipe of your own, go ahead and use that.
Here we go, get ready to WOO yourself!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees or 180 C
- Place paper cupcake holders into 12 cupcake tins.
- Crust: (or your own favorite)
- 1 ½ cups crushed gluten-free gram crackers
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Step 1 Follow the recipe for the Orange Dreamsicle Pie using 1 sliced lemon with seeds removed in place of the orange. Yes, skin and all! Make sure you blend for at least 4 minutes. The Birch tree sugar needs to dissolve completely or you’ll have crystals in your pie.
- Step 2 Crust
- Step 3 Combine Gluten-free gram cracker crumbs with butter and vanilla and mix well. I used my immersion blender food processor attachment.
- Step 4 Press ¼” gram cracker crumbs into each paper cupcake holder.
- Step 5 Pour ¼ cup of the lemon filling into each cup.
- Step 6 Bake until the tops or the edges turn slightly brown
- Step 7 Cool completely
- Step 8 Grind birch or monk sugar in a coffee grinder until powdered sugar consistency.
- Step 9 Dust cooled Lemon Drops with powdered sugar. You can also add a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream.