This is a version of my luscious Orange Dreamsicle Pie. I did a Valentine Cooking Class this month and decided EVERYONE needed to try the amazing versatile recipe. So I created a piggyback recipe using a whole lemon instead of an orange. The attendees made individual Lemon Drops with a gluten-free gram cracker crusts. You can top them off with some Monk powdered sugar or Coconut Whipped Cream. These were the hit of the party! Well, at least one of the amazing sweeties we whipped up that day. I’m certain the attendees will be on here hunting both recipes and find other ways to adapt this basic filling.
So Let’s begin. First, you’ll need to prepare the Orange Dreamsicle Pie filling and instead of using the orange, wash a large lemon, cut it in pieces, and remove the seeds. Next, you’ll have to create a pie crust. I happened to have some gluten-free gram crackers and added a little ground flaxseed. I’ve included it with this recipe. You can use the dough of the cassava cookies below as well. Just mix it, roll it out, and use a small cookie cutter to make individual crusts for the paper cupcake holders. If you have a favorite crust recipe try it out with these deliciously tart Lemon Drops.
Here we go get ready to WOO yourself!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees or 180 C
- Place paper cupcake holders into 12 cupcake tins.
- Crust: (or your own favorite)
- 1 ½ cups crushed gluten-free gram crackers
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Step 1 Follow the recipe for the Orange Dreamsicle Pie using 1 sliced lemon with seeds removed in place of the orange. Yes, skin and all! Make sure you blend for at least 4 minutes. The Birch tree sugar needs to dissolve completely or you’ll have crystals in your pie.
- Step 2 Crust
- Step 3 Combine Gluten-free gram cracker crumbs with butter and vanilla and mix well. I used my immersion blender food processor attachment.
- Step 4 Press ¼” gram cracker crumbs into each paper cupcake holder.
- Step 5 Pour ¼ cup of the lemon filling into each cup.
- Step 6 Bake until the tops or the edges turn slightly brown
- Step 7 Cool completely
- Step 8 Grind birch or monk sugar in a coffee grinder until powdered sugar consistency.
- Step 9 Dust cooled Lemon Drops with powdered sugar. You can also add a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream.