I love the taste of pumpkin. It reminds me of fall, and it’s so versatile. You can make it savory or sweeten it up. I’m using it to sweeten up these cold fall and winter days in Germany. This recipe is so easy, and no leftovers to tempt you the next day! You’ll have to eyeball the cooking time since each microwave is different. My mug cakes take 1 minute and 30 seconds to make, so check after a minute. You can use puree pumpkin or sweet potato. Either one works well. Mix up a batch of Coconut Whipped Cream and add a dash of 5 Chinese Spices to the whipped cream. Come on. I know you’re as cold as I am and need a warm sweetie to get you through this season. Give it a try!
Spiced Pumpkin Mug Cakes
- ¼ cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk (add more so it is the consistency of a cake mix)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp of melted butter or ghee
- 1/8 cup cassava flour
- 1/8 cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp 5 Chinese spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped nuts
- Coconut Whipped Cream for topping
- Step 1 In a large microwave-safe mug place the pumpkin puree, egg, milk, and maple syrup. Use a fork to whisk to combine.
- Step 2 Stir in cooled melted butter or ghee and mix.
- Step 3 Add the cassava flour, almond flour, 5 Chinese spice, and baking powder. Whisk until combined.
- Step 4 Fold in chopped nuts reserving a few for dusting the top.
- Step 5 Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Each microwave is different, so check after 2 minutes and adjust the time accordingly. Press gently on the top, and if it springs back, it’s ready.
- Step 6 Cool for 10 minutes, then top with Coconut Whipped Cream dusted with 5 Chinese Spice and sprinkle with chopped nuts.