I am in love with this creamy spinach curry infused dish! It is so simple and delicious. I usually double the gravy and freeze it so I have it on hand when the urge hits me. The recipe itself is quite simple, but I like to create my own Creamy Dairy-free Yogurt from coconut cream milk, which takes a day. I also marinate the chicken for a day or more (but not necessary). So, if you are avoiding dairy, you should prepare in advance and make my yogurt recipe. Otherwise, use your favorite plain yogurt to make the marinade for the chicken. If you are in a hurry and do not have a day to marinate the meat, just leave it in the fridge in the morning and use it that evening. The longer you marinate the chicken, the more tender it gets. As for the curry ingredient, you can whip up my Crazy Curry recipe, pick one up at the store, or use the one on your shelf!
I love having leftover sauce from this recipe. I save it to use with my Herb Hummus or on Taj Indian Spinich Eggs for breakfast! You can also leave the meat out and go Vegan or Vegetarian. Replace it with a few mixed veggies at the end like some sweet potatoes and enjoy!
TAJ CHICKEN & SPINACH
- Chicken Marinade
- 6 large Chicken Breast
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Taj Gravy
- 1 lbs fresh spinach
- 6 medium chopped tomatoes
- 2 large onions 1 chopped. The other reserve for later
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder check out my homemade recipe
- 3-4 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup yogurt for garnish
- Step 1 Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Mix with yogurt and spices. Refrigerate for 4 – 12 hours, or more. I have actually left it in the fridge for 3 days and it was yummy!
- Step 2 Place washed spinach, chopped tomatoes, salt, garlic, ginger, and curry powder in a LARGE pot.
- Step 3 Cook until the spinach shrinks and the tomatoes are tender. About 30 minutes.
- Step 4 Use an immersion blender and zip the spinach and tomato mixture roughly. I like to leave a bit of the spinach and tomatoes in little chunks. Let cook with the lid off so the mixture thickens. I’ve left my pot cooking for as long as 4 hours!
- Step 5 Place ghee in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add marinated chicken once it is hot. You might have to do this in batches. The yogurt will remain on the chicken and separate a bit, but don’t worry. All is good.
- Step 6 Cook the chicken just to seal it. About 5-7 minutes. As the pieces finish cooking, place them in the gravy mixture and simmer on the back burner.
- Step 7 Throw away remaining marinade!
- Step 8 After all the chicken has been fried and placed in the gravy, cut the remaining onion into quarters, and place in the pot. Cook for 30-40 minutes with the lid off.
- Step 9 Serve over Cardamom Seasoned Cauliflower Rice! Use a dab of yogurt on the top for garnish.