I searched the net for curry powders and there were as many curries as there are languages in India! It is amazing, and they all have their unique twists––so I decided I could do the same thing. Here you go! This is my version of a good homemade curry powder. I love the recipe gadget on this site. It allows you to double, triple or whatever to suit your needs! I am giving you the ingredients for about 4 tablespoons. I usually quadruple this, since I use it a lot. It stores nicely in an air tight jar for months. Enjoy!
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon broke in half
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 large cardomom seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dhania-jeera or 1/2 tsp cumin & 1/2 tsp coriander
- Step 1 Place all the seeds, broken cinnamon stick and cloves on a cookie sheet or a toaster oven pan. You can even do this in a cast iron skillet on the stove as well.
- Step 2 Toast in toaster oven or standard oven until light brown. You will hear the seeds crack and the smell is amazing.
- Step 3 Cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Once cooled place in a coffee grinder and along with the pepper flakes and 2 tsp dhania-jeera or the 1 tsp of coriander powder and 1tsp of cumin powder.
- Step 5 Blend until a fine powder. Store in a air tight jar for up to 2 months. You can use up to 6 months but the aroma lessens.