I have to say this is not my recipe, BUT it is the easiest and best I’ve found. I discovered it on the site, thekitchn.com. It’s really amazing and has never failed. So my thanks goes out to Faith at thekitchn.com! Oh yeah, don’t let the 12-16 hours scare you. You’ll be sleeping anyway. Make it after dinner when the oven is not in use. Evening is the perfect time for me. I turn the oven light off and put the yogurt in the fridge on my way out the door to work. But if you work 12 hours, stick it in the oven before leaving for work. Check it when you come home, then slide it in the fridge after dinner.
You’ll need to have your carton of coconut cream in the fridge over night before your begin this recipe. I keep a couple cartons in my fridge all the time. I suggest you do this as well because I believe this will become a regular for you. Be sure it is pure coconut cream with no additives (65% or more Cream). Do not use the store bought coconut drink. This will not work.
You will need the right probiotic. Make sure it has at least 25 billion or more with at least 10 probiotic stains. Thekitchn.com recommends the brand “Now”. I use this brand as well, but I’ve had great success using other brands too.
One more thing…this yogurt is a wonderful base for creating all kinds of dips, sauces and marinades! Some muffin recipes call for yogurt and this is a perfect dairy free replacement.
CREAMY DAIRY FREE YOGURT
- 1 33.8 fl oz coconut cream
- 2 probiotic capsules
- Step 1 Sterilize your canning jar in boiling water or if your sink water is like mine…scalding, then rinse the jar, top, plastic rim, spatula or spoon and any other tools that might come in contact with your coconut cream.
- Step 2 Turn your oven on to 50c or 100 F degrees. Place your clean jar in the oven to dry off.
- Step 3 Take the coconut cream out of the fridge and turn it upside down. Cut the top off and drain the coconut water into a jar. This coconut water is great for smoothies! Don’t throw it out.
- Step 4 Turn off the oven and leave on the oven light.
- Step 5 Take the dried jar out of the oven touching only the sides. With your sterilized spoon or spatula scrape the thick coconut cream into the jar. The cream will be hard so you have to use your sterilized tool to break it up a bit.
- Step 6 Open the ends of the probiotics and sprinkle over the top of the coconut cream. Use your sterile tool to stir it around. Don’t worry it won’t be easy and it won’t be evenly distributed. Just make sure to push as much as you can into the cream.
- Step 7 Close the lid and place the jar back in the oven. Turn the oven to off and leave the light. Leave it there for 12 – 18 hours or more.
- Step 8 Take out and place in fridge. It will be a little runny but after a few hours it firms up.
- Step 9 You can add honey or maple syrup and a bit of vanilla or flavors to your liking after it sets. I like to store it plain since I use it for other purposes.