German Apple Cake (Apfel Kuchen)
Just love the way Germans sweeten their cakes and sweets. When I first arrived 20 years ago, and before going gluten-free, I was so excited to step into one the many bakeries that line the streets and treat myself to a decadent slice of the gooiest thing on the shelf. Â What a shock…it was not like anything I ever had before and have fallen in love with their gentle doses of sugar. It’s like tasting cheesecake or a simple white cake for the first time. The flavors of the spices and other ingredients come through so powerful. A simple apple cake or Kuchen Cake becomes a walk in an apple orchard! Seriously…
I used coconut sugar and it created a slight maple flavor and a warmer colored cake batter. You can also use raw sugar or birch tree sugar. This has become a regular since it is so easy and fast. Add vanilla or rum flavoring to give it that “humm” flavor. Let’s get started!
German Apple Cake
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of cardamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter) melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- Apple Topping:
- 2 apples
- 1/4 cup melted ghee or butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla or rum flavoring
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- Step 1 Cake:
- Step 2 Oil a cake pan with coconut oil.
- Step 3 Peel and core 2 apples. Slice the apples into thin pieces.
- Step 4 Turn oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 5 Whisk the first 5 dry ingredients with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Step 6 In a small bowl beat the eggs, vanilla or rum together. Slowly add the melted coconut oil or butter until well combined.
- Step 7 Apple Topping:
- Step 8 In a small bowl place the sliced apples, melted butter, vanilla or rum flavoring, cinnamon, and coconut sugar in a small. Give it a toss so all the apples are covered
- Step 9 Place the apples over the top of the cake dough and save the remaining liquid. Bake for 25-30 minutes. It really depends on your baking dish but you don’t want to overcook this baby.
- Step 10 When it is done, poke holes in the top of the cake. I used the candy thermometer! Pour the remaining liquid from the apple topping slowly over the holes of the finished cake.
- Step 11 Serve warm with Coconut Whipped cream!