I love the way Germans sweeten their cakes and sweets. When I first arrived 20 years ago, and before going gluten-free, I was so excited to step into one of the many bakeries that line the streets and treat myself to a decadent slice of the gooiest thing on the shelf. What a shock…it was not like anything I ever had before, and I have fallen in love with their gentle doses of sugar. It’s like tasting cheesecake or a simple white cake for the first time. The flavors of the spices and other ingredients come through so powerful. The best this is you can do this by hand in a medium bow! A simple Apple Cake or Kuchen Cake becomes a walk in an apple orchard! Seriously…
I used coconut sugar, and it created a slight maple flavor and a warmer colored cake batter. You can also use raw sugar or birch tree sugar. This has become a regular since it is so easy and fast. Add vanilla or rum (or flavoring) to give it that “hum” aroma. Let’s get started!
German Apple Cake (Apfel Kuchen)
- Apple Topping:
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup melted ghee or butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla or rum
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- Apple Cake:
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of cardamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or ghee) melted and cooled
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 apples grated
- 1 tsp of vanilla or rum
- Step 1 Apple Topping:
- Step 2 Peel and core one apple. Slice into thin pieces.
- Step 3 Place the sliced apples in ghee, vanilla or rum, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Stir until all slices are coated well. Set aside to marinate.
- Step 4 Apple Cake:
- Step 5 Turn oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking pan or simpler size oval baking pan with ghee.
- Step 6 Whisk the first 6 dry cake ingredients with a fork in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Step 7 Core, peel and grate the last 2 apples into a medium-size bowl. Add the beaten eggs, vanilla, or rum, and beat well with a spoon or whisk.
- Step 8 Slowly pour the apple and egg mixture into the dry mixture making sure everything is incorporated.
- Step 9 Pour the cake batter into your greased pan.
- Step 10 Place the marinated sliced apples over the top of the cake mixture. Pour the remaining liquid over the cake and sliced apples.
- Step 11 Bake for 35-40 minutes. Make sure you don’t over-cook the cake. It should be browned on the edges, and the center springs back to a light touch. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving. Place a dollop of coconut whipped cream on top or a scoop of your favorite dairy-free ice cream!