I love the way Germans sweeten their cakes and sweets. When I first arrived 20 years ago, and before going gluten-free, I was so excited to step into one of the many bakeries that line the streets and treat myself to a decadent slice of the gooiest thing on the shelf. What a shock…it was not like anything I ever had before, and I have fallen in love with their gentle doses of sugar. It’s like tasting cheesecake or a simple white cake for the first time. The flavors of the spices and other ingredients come through so powerful. The best this is you can do this by hand in a medium bow! A simple Apple Cake or Kuchen Cake becomes a walk in an apple orchard! Seriously…
I used coconut sugar, and it created a slight maple flavor and a warmer colored cake batter. You can also use raw sugar or birch tree sugar. This has become a regular since it is so easy and fast. Add vanilla or rum (or flavoring) to give it that “hum” aroma. Let’s get started!
German Apple Cake (Apfel Kuchen)
- Apple Topping:
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup melted ghee or butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla or rum
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- Apple Cake:
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of cardamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or ghee) melted and cooled
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 apples grated
- 1 tsp of vanilla or rum
- Step 1 Apple Topping:
- Step 2 Peel and core one apple. Slice into thin pieces.
- Step 3 Place the sliced apples in ghee, vanilla or rum, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Stir until all slices are coated well. Set aside to marinate.
- Step 4 Apple Cake:
- Step 5 Turn oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking pan or simpler size oval baking pan with ghee.
- Step 6 Whisk the first 6 dry cake ingredients with a fork in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Step 7 Core, peel and grate the last 2 apples into a medium-size bowl. Add the beaten eggs, vanilla, or rum, and beat well with a spoon or whisk.
- Step 8 Slowly pour the apple and egg mixture into the dry mixture making sure everything is incorporated.
- Step 9 Pour the cake batter into your greased pan.
- Step 10 Place the marinated sliced apples over the top of the cake mixture. Pour the remaining liquid over the cake and sliced apples.
- Step 11 Bake for 35-40 minutes. Make sure you don’t over-cook the cake. It should be browned on the edges, and the center springs back to a light touch. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving. Place a dollop of coconut whipped cream on top or a scoop of your favorite dairy-free ice cream!
3 thoughts on “German Apple Cake (ApfelKuchen)”
Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. My husband is Italian, and like the Germans, he prefers the less sweet, more subtle desserts. I substituted the coconut sugar with half regular sugar and half maple syrup. This was a quick, easy, and delicious way to satisfy our sweet tooth during our time in lockdown! I’m looking forward to future recipes!
I’m so glad you liked it and glad the sweetener substitute worked as well. Will definitely try that next time as well. You can also post your picture here if you’d like to share!
I made this cake. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Thank you my sister❤️