YES! This recipe is it. It’s the bread of the century. I found it. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. OMG. Really, I am dancing around. So far, the bread I have made in the past calls for many eggs, and some call for nut butter, which can be expensive. This one is simple and uses a bread machine! Just wait until you try it, and let me know what you think!
Since I am used to the grainy non-sweet bread of Germany, I only use 1 Tbsp of coconut sugar. If you prefer sweeter bread, add 1-2 more tablespoons. You need some sugar to activate the yeast, so don’t eliminate it totally.
If you’re avoiding grains altogether, try my Grain-Free Cassava Century Bread!
- Wet Ingredients
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil or ghee works, too
- 1 1/2 cups water 100 degrees, warm to your wrist.
- 1 Tsp honey or maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Dry Ingredients
- 2/3 cup dry coconut milk powder, almond milk powder, or dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or birch sugar, maple syrup, or molasses
- 1/2 cup potato flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup mixed seeds chia, sesame, sunflower, hemp, etc.
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 Tbsp xanthan gum
- 1-2 tsp Himalayan salt I like 1 1/2
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- Step 1 In a bowl mix the dry ingredients: flours, xanthan gum, coconut sugar, salt, coconut milk powder, and yeast. Whisk with a fork and watch out for the flying flour. Be careful
- Step 2 this stuff flies away from the bowl. Whisk slowly.
- Step 3 In another small bowl, mix the wet ingredients, eggs, vinegar, oil, and water. Whisk until well blended. Pour in the bottom of your bread machine.
- Step 4 Cover the wet mixture with the dry mixture. Place the bread pan in the bread machine and cook on cycle 1 or gluten-free cycle according to the directions.
- Step 5 When done, remove from the pan and set the loaf on a rack. If you want the top browner, set it in the oven on 400 for 10-15 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes. Cut and taste the best gluten-free bread of the CENTURY!