Well, golly molly I did it. These are crazy good and perfect each time. I love this dough so much that I updated my Amy’s Orange Cinnamon Buns and created a new recipe, Savory Breakfast Rolls. Both are so delicious and the dough is moist the next day. I even doubled the recipe and made a batch of each! After they cooled I froze them and when I want one I take it out and pop it in the toaster! So great for sandwiches, rolls for dinner, and if made a bit bigger they make the best hamburger buns in the world…nothing falls off and they don’t crack and crumble!
I miss hamburger buns that stay together when you eat a burger! I usually end up getting store-bought gluten-free buns when we do make burgers. I hate doing this because heaven knows what’s inside. I usually can’t read the labels because they’re in another language or they are too complicated to pronounce. So I’ve been experimenting with several of my bread recipes to create the perfect hamburger or hotdog bun that doesn’t fall apart when you take a bite. Try them out!
I use foil to form the shape I want for my hamburger or hotdog buns. For dinner rolls, I cook them in a muffin tin, or you can use a baguette loaf pan and make it into a loaf. I’m sure you’ll find a million ways to use this amazing delicious soft dough!
Dinner Or Hamburger Rolls
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups cassava flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup potato FLOUR (not starch. If you don’t have it use an additional 1/2 cup almond flour)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 1/2 tsp of active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp phylum husk
- 1 Tbsp mixed seeds (Sprinkle on tops after you egg wash before cooking: This is optional)
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 eggs (1 is for brushing the top of your rolls during cooking. This is optional)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup melted ghee or olive oil
- 2 cups warm water (100 degrees)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk (almond, cashew, coconut, etc.)
- Step 1 Turn stove to 170 degrees or 50c. This is where you will let the dough rise for an hour after you make it. You’ll turn the oven off and keep the light on to make it rise. You can bake these on a baking paper-lined cookie sheet or in a bun-formed baking pan. If you have rings that will work as well. I just baked them directly on the lined cookie sheet and used foil to keep them apart..
- Step 2 Dry Ingredients:
- Step 3 Place all the dry ingredients in a standing mixer on low and make sure you have the removable lid on. This stuff flies!
- Step 4 Turn the mixer on low and allow the dry ingredients to mix for 3-5 minutes.
- Step 5 Wet Ingredients:
- Step 6 Meanwhile heat your water to 100 degrees.
- Step 7 In a small bowl add the oil/ghee, honey, 1/4 cup of dairy-free milk, and warm water together and mix well.
- Step 8 Have your egg on hand!
- Step 9 Slowly pour a third of the warm water mixture into the standing mixer with the dry ingredients.
- Step 10 Add the egg and slowly pour another third of the warm water mixture into the mixer. Turn the mixer to medium.
- Step 11 Add the last third of the water mixture slowly…you may not need it all. The dough should be pretty sticky and fluffy yet pull together. I used it all.
- Step 12 Turn off your oven and leave the oven light on.
- Step 13 Scoop out the dough into a buttered/oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Step 14 Place this in the warm oven for 1 hour.
- Step 15 Once it doubles in size, remove the bowl and turn up the oven to 375 degrees.
- Step 16 Dump the dough on a large sheet of oiled plastic wrap.
- Step 17 Use a little oil on your hands and pat the dough out a bit to release some of the air.
- Step 18 For dinner rolls use about 1/3 cup of dough for hamburger rolls or even hotdog rolls, use about 2/3 cup of dough. Roll a portion of the sticky dough with oiled hands into a ball. Add more cassava flour if needed but keep the inside sticky. Place them on the baking pan, muffin tin, or in a 3-4 inch formed foil circle, and gently tap the top about 1/4 inch to flatten just a little.
- Step 19 Beat the second egg and brush the tops of each roll. Sprinkle with the seeds.
- Step 20 Bake for 40-50 minutes until done
- Step 21 Let cool completely before slicing.