I love to make my Taj Chicken & Spinach. After fishing out all the chicken I usually have sauce leftover and freeze it for the next batch. But on the boat, freezing this is not so easy. I tried to make a 2 serving portion of Taj Chicken & Spinach but still had leftover sauce. So I decided to make this yummy Indian breakfast that has probably never been served in India but it sure tastes good.
The sauce is very simple and can be made in 30 minutes if you don’t have leftovers from the Taj Chicken & Spinach recipe. I have adapted it for you here. I also used my Crazy Curry recipe but you can use a store-bought as well. You can also use my recipe for homemade yogurt or goat or Creamy Dairy-Free Yogurt. If you are avoiding both it’s ok to leave it out. It just makes it creamier.
Crispy Rice & Taj Eggs
- Taj Spinach Gravy:
- 250 grams fresh spinach cleaned
- 1 medium onion 1/2 chopped the other cut in 1-inch pieces set aside
- 2 medium tomato 1 chopped roughly
- 1-2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1-2 tsp red chili flakes depending on your taste
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp Crazy Curry or store-bought
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup homemade coconut yogurt or coconut cream milk
- The Rice and Eggs:
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 2 cups cooked jasmine or brown rice
- Step 1 Taj Spinach Gravy:
- Step 2 Place all the ingredients for the Taj Spinach Gravy into a large pot and simmer on medium while you prepare the rice. This should be about 20 minutes.
- Step 3 Place 1 Tbsp of Ghee in a large frying pan and heat on medium-high until very hot.
- Step 4 Place the rice in the Ghee and stir it so all the rice is coated with ghee.
- Step 5 Press the rice down with a spatula several times while frying to release the moisture. Cook for 5 minutes on each side. Add another Tbsp of Ghee if necessary. Press down on the rice once in a while.
- Step 6 Fry for another 2 or 3 minutes or until the rice is brown and crispy.
- Step 7 Once the rice is crispy, crack 4 eggs an inch apart and turn heat to low. Cover and cook until the whites are firm. I like mine runny so I leave the lid on and turn the heat off while I finish the sauce.
- Step 8 While the eggs are cooking, use an immersion blender and puree the Taj Spinach Gravy until smooth. Turn heat to low and stir in the yogurt or coconut cream milk. Add the cut 1/2 onion and simmer for 2 minutes while eggs finish.
- Step 9 Serve up and add some diced onions and tomatoes Crunchy Rice to the top with a dash of coconut yogurt and cilantro!