This custard is so delicious and easy to make. It is refreshing and makes a great desert to impress. You can make it the day before. Then assemble the dessert by warming the custard and caramelized mangos and bananas right before you serve. It is a great accompaniment to curried foods and summer barbecues. Feel free to change the fruit to taste! I like to use my Nut’n Butter Than Almond Cookie recipe as a crust, which adds a nice texture and flavor to the dish. But it can be made with another crust recipe.
CREAMY CARDAMON CUSTARD & CARAMELIZED MANGOS AND BANANAS
- Cardamon Custard
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 2/3 cups pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cardamon powder
- 1 cup coconut cream milk
- 3 egg yokes
- Caramelized Mangled Mangos & Bananas
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup farm fresh butter
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Check out my homemade recipe!
- 2 bananas cut in strips
- 2 mangos sliced in strips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds for garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted raw coconut for garnish
- Step 1 Nut’ Butter Than Almond Cookies
- Step 2 Heat the oven to 350 degrees for the cookies and the crust.
- Step 3 These individual treats begin by making the Nut’n Butter Than Almond Cookies. 1/2 the dough is used for the cookie crust which is pressed into the individual baking dishes 1/4 thick. The other half of the dough is for baking the cookies that accompanies this yummy dessert.
- Step 4 Butter the bottoms of each individual baking dish.
- Step 5 Follow the recipe for the Nut’n Butter Than Almond Cookies. Divide the dough as described. Place 1/2 in the freezer while you bake the individual dishes with the cookie crust.
- Step 6 Cook the dishes in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.
- Step 7 Set to cool. Remove the other rolled half of the dough from the freezer. Slice 1/4 inch disks and bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are brown. I press a few almonds into the dough on top.
- Step 8 Let cookies cool completely before removing from the lined cookie sheet.
- Step 9 Cardamon Custard
- Step 10 Heat and stir the coconut milk, maple syrup and cardamom in a saucepan until it starts to simmer (rolling). Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 11 Meanwhile whip together the egg yokes and vanilla.
- Step 12 Next, Use a whisk and CAREFULLY drizzle in the ¼ cup of the coconut milk mixture into the egg mixture. Be careful not to cook the eggs.
- Step 13 Once this is mixed well add another ¼ cup of the milk mixture to the eggs. After all the milk has been incorporated with the eggs return the mixture to the saucepan and cook on LOW stirring until mixture thickens. DO NOT BOIL or you will get scrambled eggs and the custard will separate.
- Step 14 Once thick, set aside to cool. Before serving whisk mixture and then pour equally into individual serving cups.
- Step 15 Caramelized Mangled Mangos and Bananas
- Step 16 Heat the butter and maple syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 5-8 minutes stirring so it does not burn. It should thicken up a bit.
- Step 17 Place sliced bananas and mango in the bubbling sauce. Keep the heat medium high so it’s bubbling.
- Step 18 Add the Garam Masala. Simmer until sauce starts to thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Step 19 Assembling This YUMMY desert
- Step 20 Place the warm Mangled mangos and bananas over the baked individual cookie crust dishes. Whisk the custard and fill individualized creamer cups. Sprinkle a few toasted almonds and toasted raw coconut on top and serve with a Nut’n Butter Than Almond Cookie on the side!