My California family has a long-standing tradition that whenever I’m “home”, in the USA, we go to La Especial in Leucadia, California. This is where the family goes at least twice a month; what can I say? One of the most delicious cabbage salads in the world awaits me and is always fresh, zingy, and just to die for, seriously. However, it is so dang simple to make. Here it is, and it’s all in a simple salad dressing! Oh, by the way, my recipe calls for the jalapeños…of course!
South of the Border Slaw
- 1/2 white cabbage sliced thin
- 1/4 purple cabbage slices thin
- 5 red radishes sliced thin
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1/2 medium fresh jalapeño diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice or more
- 1/4 cups olive oil or more!
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped
- Step 1 No need to ramble….put all the above ingredients in a large bowl and squeeze the lime over the top. Drizzle with the oil. Toss in the salt and give it a good mixing, and voila! This can be made ahead of time. Actually, the longer it sits, the better!
- Step 2 Make sure it is room temperature when you serve it. You’ll need to make a taste test before serving like all good cooks…it might need another zap of lime or a pinch more salt!