This is the best recipe for a special event like New Year’s Day. Actually, it is the best recipe for any day of the year. It is easy to make, and the sauce can be made the day before. I even bet you have all the ingredients in your refrigerator and cupboards right now. It’s perfect for a crowd and filling—one of those comfort foods that hits the spot.
I use bacon to top it off, but if you like, fry up some ground sausage to top it off. Hey, make both and let the folks decide. Or why not top this delicious breakfast with a bit of each? This recipe feeds four people or two hungry folks. I use two eggs per person. I used milk for this family day but you can use your favorite dairy-free milk. Leftovers are yummy, so don’t hesitate to double the batch.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1-2 pieces of toast of your choice (croissants cut in half, thick white, sourdough, or whatever you like. But thicker is better to handle the gravy).
- 8 Eggs
- 1/2 lb Bacon or Sausage
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 Cup of flour
- 4 cups of milk or dairy-free milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A little shake of Garlic salt and Paprika
- 2 tablespoons of Cholula
- Step 1 Hard boil the eggs. Peel and separate the whites and the yolks into two bowls.
- Step 2 Mash with a fork the yolks. Set aside for later.
- Step 3 Dice the whites into half-inch pieces. Set aside for later.
- Step 4 Fry up the bacon or sausage and crumble. Set aside in a bowl
- Step 5 Make Gravy (Rue-based). Melt the butter in a pan, and while whisking, slowly add the flour until combined. It will be thick.
- Step 6 Add the milk a little at a time. Use a whisk to incorporate it into the flour and butter.
- Step 7 Ad dashed of garlic salt and paprika (about a quarter of a teaspoon of each). Salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until medium thick. This might take fifteen minutes.
- Step 8 Add the chopped egg white to the sauce and stir.
- Step 9 Toast the bread. Buttering the bread is optional. Once toasted, place on serving plates.
- Step 10 Top with a spoonful of the gravy, sprinkle a tablespoon of crumbled egg yolks on top. Top it off with a sprinkle of crumbled bacon or sausage. Serve immediately! (Unless you want hot sauce, of course, or a few slices of jalapenos).