Easy as can be, truly, and it’s quick. I paired it with small broiled potatoes lightly salted with parmesan grated on top before serving them. Plus, it whips up quickly on the stop top. It’s a weekly regular for me until the sun comes out, and we can start grilling! I’m going to give it a try with my freshly caught salmon during the asparagus season.
Choose your chicken pieces, thighs, or breast. With bone or without. This recipe works either way you choose. I used green asparagus; this week in Germany, I used white. Both are delicious. I made this for my family in Oregon this last visit, and it fed the entire crew. This dish fed six people with leftovers to boot. Let’s get going.
Chicken & Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts, about 2-3 lbs
- 1/4 cup of ghee or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp diced parsley
- 1 Tbsp diced basil
- 1/2 cup diced white onions
- 1/4 cup Caper
- Hymalyain slat and pepper to taste
- Lemon Pepper Salt
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch
- Step 1 Prepare the lemons: Remove the zest from one lemon and set the zest aside, then slice this lemon into thin rings and set it aside. Juice the second lemon and reserve the juice.
- Step 2 Dice the garlic, parsley, and basil and set aside.
- Step 3 Place the arrowroot or tapioca in a small cup and add three tablespoons of water. Stir it until smooth and set aside.
- Step 4 In a large saucepan, heat the ghee or avocado oil to medium-high. Keep the skin on the chicken and salt and pepper on both sides. Place the top side of the breast up and sear the bottom for 6-7 minutes. Flip and sear the top side with the skin on for 6-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Step 5 Place the chicken on a large plate. Lower the heat in the pan and stir-fry the diced onion. Once the onion is tender, pour in the broth, scraping the bottom, ensuring you remove all the yummy fried parts mashing them with the back of a spoon.
- Step 6 Add the lemon juice and the zest to the pan. Stir until it is well combined.
- Step 7 Remove the skin from the seared chicken and season once again with lemon pepper, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken breast side up or bone side down (if using boned chicken) in the saucepan with the liquid. Cook on low for 15 minutes (20 if using boned chicken) with the lid cracked.
- Step 8 Next, sprinkle the Caper and place the sliced lemon rings on top of the chicken and simmer while you clean the asparagus.
- Step 9 Clean the asparagus and set aside.
- Step 10 After 15-20 minutes, stir the arrowroot or tapioca mixture. Move the chicken topped with capers and lemon rings to one side of the pan and slowly pour the arrowroot or tapioca mixture into the broth to combine. Stir the sauce until it becomes somewhat thick. move the chicken back into the sauce and ladle the sauce over the chicken. Cook for 5 more minutes on low with the lid on. It should be simmering. If the liquid is evaporating, add a bit more broth or water.
- Step 11 Add the cleaned asparagus on top of the chicken to steam. Depending on the size and preference, cook until the asparagus is done. Ladle some sauce from the pan over the asparagus before serving.
- Step 12 Serve with potatoes or rice.
1 thought on “Chicken & Asparagus with Lemon Sauce”