After many failures and recreations, I think I got this! This is a basic pie crust that has not failed me yet. Thanks to Sonia at @HealthyFoodie, I could tweak her recipe a bit to fit all my plans. Check out her site. She’s got some AMAZING recipes. Whether you’re in the mood for a Basic Pie Crust, a Dessert Pie Crust, or maybe a Zesty Meat or Veggie Pie Crust, this Versatile Pie Crust has got you covered. I use the Zesty Meat or Veggie Pie Crust for my Sausage and Spinach Empanadas and the Dessert Pie Crust for my Dreamsicle Pie. You choose which one serves your purpose. Key point…KEEP the butter/ghee COLD. Ok, here we go.
BASIC VERSATILE PIE CRUST
September 13, 2018
: 2 pie crust
: 20 min
: 1 hr
: 1 hr 20 min
- Basic Pie Crust
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter or ghee place in freezer while you prep
- pinch coconut sugar or birch tree optional
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 - 5 tbsp cold water place water in a cup and add an ice cube
- Dessert Crust options
- 2 tbsp coconut or birch tree sugar
- dash cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- dash cardamon, zest of lemon or ornage, or any spice that supports your filling
- Meat or Veggie Pie Crust options
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp Bella Italian Seasoning or store-bought
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or any savory herb of choice
- Step 1 Basic Pie Crust: Place the 1 cup of ghee in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl SLOWLY. Careful this flour is dangerous. I will not elaborate on my mishap with the electric mixer and the lid off!
- Step 3 If you’re choosing a Dessert Crust Pie, add the additional dry ingredients requested at this time as well.
- Step 4 Fill a glass with water and place an ice cube in it. This ensures it is very cold!
- Step 5 Once the flour is really mixed, make a whole in the mixture and pour the cracked beaten egg into the whole. Twirl the flour mixture through the egg to combine. It will be lumpy.
- Step 6 Once the ghee is frozen pretty solid, use a cheese grater and shave it into the flour and egg mixture a little at a time using a fork to mash together. Use a tbsp of ice water as you add more frozen ghee. It will be like trying to combine water and oil but hang in there. Use a fork to mash it into the mixture.
- Step 7 Once all the ghee is shaved into the mixture and the 2 or 3 tablespoons of ice water are added, use your washed hands to press the dough together. It will still have crumbs hanging around, but you should be able to grab a handful and squeeze it in your hand, and it stays firm together.
- Step 8 form it into 2 mounts. Wrap them in plastic wrap or cloth and place in the freezer for 30 minutes (You can make this a week before you need it and freeze it. Let it thaw a bit, and roll it out)!
- Step 9 After 30 minutes in the freezer, remove 1 mound and place it on tapioca or potato floured baking paper. Sprinkle more flour on top. Roll out dough to 1/8″ thick. If making a pie, remove the top paper and flip it into a pie tin. You can use the other mound in the freezer for the top following the same procedure.
- Step 10 If you’re making Empanadas, cut out 4-6″ circles per mound. Place the excess dough back in the freezer until needed. Fill with empanada filling. Bake according to empanada directions.