This is dairy free! And it tastes just like the real thing. You can use this on any cake or cupcake. It is really light and tasty. Try it on my Carrot Cake. Just remember you will need to put a 32 oz carton of at least 60% pure Coconut Milk in the refrigerator overnight. My suggestion is to always make sure you have one in the fridge for last minute occasions. You’ll also need to soak the cashews for at least 4 hours. So you might want to make this delicious frosting the day before. Basically, you will be making Coconut Whipped Cream. This is the base for this “Cream Cheese” icing with a couple of twists, but you might want to check out my Coconut Whipped Cream recipe with a video by Downshiftology before you start!
WHIPPED COCONUT “CREAM CHEESE” FROSTING
- 1 cups raw cashews soaked 4 hours & rinsed
- 1 tsp Brewers Yeast optional
- 1 32 oz coconut milk refrigerated over night
- 1 Tbsp organic honey or 1 - 2 drops of Agave syrup
- 1 vanilla bean scrapped or 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 tsp Triple Sec optional or zest from an orange/oil
- Step 1 Put your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer while you prep your items!
- Step 2 Place the soaked and rinsed cashews and Brewers Yeast in a food processor and blend for 2 minutes scraping the sides down often. Once smooth and creamy, set aside.
- Step 3 Coconut Whipped Cream: Cut the top of your chilled Coconut Milk Carton. Drain the coconut water into a storage jar for future smoothies and place in the refrigerator. This is the brand I use.
- Step 4 Scrape the solid coconut cream that is left in the carton into your chilled mixing bowl. blend on low to remove lumps and then increase the speed to medium. Scraping the sides often.
- Step 5 Add the honey and vanilla bean. Beat on high until you have stiff cream. You might have to add a drizzle of the coconut water to get the right consistency. BUT not too much. We want the peaks.
- Step 6 Once you have stiff peaks remove the bowl from your mixer and fold in the ground cashew mixture a tablespoon at a time.
- Step 7 Use right away on cooled cakes or cupcakes. You can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. So make it ahead of time! It’s so good on my Carrot Cake recipe.
- Step 8 You can also add lemon zest or any flavoring to accent your dessert! A tablespoon of organic dry Cocoa and a tad bit more honey will give you instant Chocolate Cream Frosting!