Yes, I’m still camp’n and cook’n and this one is a keeper. We bought a fresh pineapple and it was turning to alcohol and my thought was “don’t toss it, cook it!” So I sliced it into rings and kept the core in as well. This is the part I love the most. Actually I think I like it so much due to the fact my parents, on rare occasions, would buy a pineapple and slice it up for breakfast or as a tasty dessert treat. My siblings and I were given the core and our parents ate the meat. We were told this is where most of vitamins were stored. LOL so even today I eat the core and find it rather tasty.
I have a confectioner oven in my 5th wheel and use it rarely and would love to give this a go over the fire in my iron skillet. I’d make it just the same way but place a lid on top and cook on a low fire for 30 minutes. Try it out for me someone! I plan to as well before this trip is over however, we have moved up the coast to Washington and fear the sun is gone for a while and rain visits us daily
FRESH COCONUT PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- Glazed Pineapple
- 1/2 cup organic butter You will need 1 cup melted and browned. 1/2 for the pineapple and the other for the cake base.
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp homemade vanilla or organic store bought
- 1/2 medium fresh pineapple peeled and sliced into 3/4
- Step 1 Glazed Pineapple
- Step 2 In a larger skillet brown the one cup of butter and remove 1/2 cup for the Cake Base below and set aside.
- Step 3 Add the maple syrup, salt and vanilla to the 1/2 cup of brown butter in the skillet. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Step 4 Add the pineapple rings to the hot skillet. Flip and soak both sides of the rings. Cook for another 2 – 3 more minutes.
- Step 5 Oil a sheet cake pan with coconut oil. Place the rings and sauce in the sheet cake.
- Step 6 Sprinkle with coconut and cranberries. Set aside and mix the Cake Base!
- Step 7 Cake Base
- Step 8 In a medium bowl mix almond flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, cardamon and cinnamon with a fork until blended.
- Step 9 In a small bowl beat eggs, cooled reserved 1/2 cup of browned butter, coconut milk, coconut sugar and vanilla.
- Step 10 Add the liquid to the dry and mix well. You might need to add a little more coconut milk so it is spreadable.
- Step 11 Spread over the top of the prepared Glazed Pineapple rings in the sheet cake.
- Step 12 Bake for 30m minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve with dairy free ice-cream. I happen to come across one made by Bliss: Vanilla Carmel Walnut…OMG so yummy!
- Step 13 Grill Tip: If making on the grill use a large cast iron skillet. This will be used for making the Glazed Pineapple and then placing the mixed Cake Base ingredients over the top of the Glazed Pineapple. Bake for 30 minutes on a low fire with a lid on. Another thought is to try this in a crockpot! Cook on low for 4 -5 hours!!!!