It doesn’t matter what fire you eat this Fireside Salad Bowl in front of, just as long as you try it. Whether in front of a roaring campfire or cozied up in front of your fireplace at home, this works! No setting tables, just a fork. All you need is a fire…ok, you can do it in front of the TV if you must, but a fire ignites conversation and ambiance.
As you know, we travel with our fifth wheel in the USA from August to December and then head back to Germany for six to seven months before we start all over again. This year we had an enormous amount of rain on our travels…more than I like. One evening we had a let up from the rain and Lutz dashed out to build a huge fire and set out 2 chairs. I scrambled to whip up something simple. This turned out so good. I used my Foolproof Mayo with a Zing, which was terrific!
When we BBQ I always do double meat and keep the extras in the fridge for occasions like this! You can use steak, canned organic tuna in water (watch out, they often use soy oil), or sliced pork as well. If you have organic sliced ham this works too. Hum, fresh grilled shrimp or fish would work, too.
FIRESIDE SALAD BOWL
- Fireside Salad Bowl
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/4 red onion sliced in rings
- 1 whole Chicken Breast spiced, pan grilled & sliced
- 4 tbsp crumbled goat blue cheese optional but GREAT zing
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 large dried figs sliced
- Any other veggies zucchini, radishes, carrots etc.
- Savory Dressing
- 1/2 cup Foolproof Mayo or store bought
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 1/2 squeezed lime lemon works as well
- 4 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
- 4 Tbsp bacon oil or olive oil, avocado oil
- 2 stripes organic bacon fried & crumbled-optional
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp fresh round pepper
- Step 1 Salad
- Step 2 Place equal parts of the chopped romaine salad in each bowl. Layer the rest of the ingredients to the top. Sprinkle with the sliced figs, nuts and the goat blue cheese on top (if using).
- Step 3 Foolproof Mayo with a Zing
- Step 4 Try my Foolproof Mayo with a Zing for this recipe. It is so good. Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake.
- Step 5 If using Bacon: Cut the bacon into small pieces. Cook the bacon and let it sit in the oil until it cools a bit. If you pour it in the jar when it’s still hot it will turn your mayo into scrambled eggs.
- Step 6 Once the bacon and oil cools pour oil and bacon into the dressing jar and shake. Drizzle over the top of each said bowl and Ta-da!!! SOOOOO Delicious!
- Step 7 You will have some dressing left over. This stores nicely for a week. Be sure to shake well before you use it again.