Ok, so simple right? Yes, you’re right, but so yummy and steaming them gives you all the nutrition that the earth placed inside these bio beets. Plus, I got to drink the bright red water they were steamed in to follow up my 2 days of detoxing. These are great alone or on top of your favorite salad. I happened to pickle this batch, but you can leave them as-is and put them in the fridge for any occasion. Plus don’t throw those greens away! Check out this delicious side dish or main meal using these nutrient-filled greens, Beet Greens and Coconut Sticky Rice!
- 4 medium bio beets
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Step 1 You will need a glass jar to store these yummy treats. I used a quart size mason jar.
- Step 2 Place the washed bio beets in a steamer filled with 2 cups of water. Steam the beets for 45 minutes or until a fork can enter them with ease. Don’t overcook them.
- Step 3 Let the cooked beets sit until they are easy to handle. Hot but not scolding. Take one at a time while running cold water over it, gently rub the skin. It should peel right off. Often I’ll leave the skins on for more nutrition.
- Step 4 Reserve the liquid. I added a few cups of filtered water and used it during detox. You can also freeze it for smoothies or add it to bone broth.
- Step 5 Slice the beets into desired sizes. Place them in your jar and pour the vinegar over the beets. If the vinegar doesn’t cover them, turn them upside down in the morning. Usually, after one serving, the vinegar is enough to cover them. Or you and shake them now and then.