Ok, so I know you are wondering, “What in the world does B&B stand for?” Wait no longer! Create this yourself using Black Basil, Black Olive Oil, and toasted pine nuts! It is so yummy. I used it to marinate our grilled veggies. What a feast! My husband was in France for a boys week and brought me back a bottle of BLACK, thats right, Black Olive Oil. The smell is wonderful and it tastes as if you just bit into a yummy black olive. Check this out!
You can also use regular green basil and your own favorite olive oil. I love to change it up now and then by using cashews, almonds or walnuts. This is such a great condiment to keep on hand and lasts for 4 weeks (but mine is always consumed before that!).
- 2 cups black basil or fresh green
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or your choice, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup black or green olive oil 1/4 for the pesto & 1/4 for the top
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- dash black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese optional
- Step 1 Place all the ingredients in your food processor. Remember just 1/4 cup of the oil in the processor. The other 1/4 cup is for the top. It seals it while you store it in the fridge.
- Step 2 Check the consistency and add more oil a drizzle at a time if desired. I toast the pine nuts to give a little nutty-smokey flavor.
- Step 3 Once blend, place in an airtight jar and cover the top of the pesto with the other 1/4 cup to keep the pesto fresh. This stores nicely for up to a week.
- Step 4 Before using, mix the 1/4 cup oil on the top into the pesto. If any left cover with a bit of oil and keep in the fridge.