Whenever the sun is out, we are out BBQ’ing…well, even when it rains we are out there. We have a big umbrella! When the urge for Indian food hits, nothing can stop us. This recipe is so good. We had just gone out for Indian food the day before and had tandoori chicken, so of course I was in the kitchen the next day working my magic. My husband was so impressed with this recipe he asked, “Why do we even bother to go out?” I said, “So I can get recipe ideas.” Simple right? Well here it is…
Oh yes, the Tandoori Chicken Marinade can be made a few days ahead and sit in the fridge until ready to cook on the grill. The Tandoori Sauce can be made in advance as well! Cook the veggies while you cook the chicken so they’re fresh.
TANDOORI CHICKEN IN THE RAIN
- Tandoori Chicken Marinade
- 1 foil Grill Tray to protect your grill from the marinade
- 1 cup dairy free yogurt see recipe
- 1 Tbsp Crazy Curry see recipe
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 lbs bio chicken skinned breast cut in half or drum sticks & thighs
- Tandoori Sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 red hot pepper sliced
- 1 tsp himalayan salt to taste
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala see post
- 3/4 cup dairy free yogurt see post
- 1/4 cup toasted raw almonds optional
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 1/4 cup green onions diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 sliced thin each: red, green, yellow, orange pepper
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage shredded
- 1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh lime quartered
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- Step 1 Tandoori Chicken Marinande
- Step 2 Marinade for Chicken: Place the spices and yogurt in a bowl and mix well.
- Step 3 Add the chicken pieces and make sure all pieces are covered with the yogurt marinade. Put in fridge for an hour but over night or a couple of days is best. Start the sauce and prep the veggies.
- Step 4 When ready to cook the chicken, place a foil grill tray to keep your grill from getting messed up with the yogurt marinade. Place bone pieces on the medium heat grill first. After 10 minutes turn and add the boneless chicken pieces.
- Step 5 Tandoori Sauce
- Step 6 Place all the ingredients into a sauce pan EXCEPT the yogurt and toasted almonds. Simmer on low for 45 minutes while the tandoori chicken continues to marinade.
- Step 7 Right before you serve up the chicken stir in the yogurt and simmer for a few minutes.
- Step 8 Tandoori Veggies
- Step 9 Use a cast iron skillet or dutch oven on the stove. Heat up the ghee to hot!
- Step 10 Add the onions, green onions, garlic and stir so the garlic does not burn. Keep tossing and add the sliced peppers and cabbage.
- Step 11 Right before you serve toss the cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top.
- Step 12 You can serve this over rice (my husbands choice) or cauliflower rice (see below for recipe link) and top it off with the Tandoori sauce and chopped almonds and a squeeze of lime!