OH, MY WORD is all I can say. We love potatoes and usually eat them like fries broiled in avocado oil. Well, I was having the family over to the campground and was serving up my Bacon & Zucchini Wrapped Chicken Kabobs when I decided that they needed a little something spectacular on the side to compliment them.
Well, this is it…the whole family was impressed and they stole the show. Crunchie on the outside and smothered in ghee and herbs then a smooth satisfying delight on the inside. These will now replace my broiled avocado fries! Check this out and you can use sweet potatoes, red or white potatoes. Plus you can make them the day before, put them in the fridge then set them under the broiler until golden and crispy! If you’re living the vegan lifestyle, omit the cheese and use a butter substitute. They are still amazing.
CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES
- 6 medium red potatoes or white
- 1/2 cups melted ghee or organic butter or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp chives or more
- 1 clove garlic pressed or chopped fine
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary
- 1/4 cups diced parsley
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- dash black pepper
- Step 1 Grease or layer a cookie sheet with baking paper. I used foil on one occasion so I could place them on the grill to keep warm. You’ll need your broiler for this recipe but you can wait to turn it on until you’ve prepped the potatoes.
- Step 2 Wash the potatoes and cut in half. Boil them in a large saucepan until soft. Now let’s prepare the sauce.
- Step 3 While the potatoes are boiling place the remaining ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Step 4 Heat on low until melted.
- Step 5 Pour half of the butter sauce over the boiled potatoes and give them a toss.
- Step 6 Cut each potato in half. Place each piece on your baking sheet with a little space between.
- Step 7 With your fist, smash the potatoes flat. Now if you want to make these beforehand this is where you can stop and place them in the fridge covered. Store the seasoned butter sauce in the fridge and melt when your ready to put these babies under the broiler later that day or the next day.
- Step 8 If you’re making the potatoes to eat right away let’s continue! Ladle a portion of the melted ghee or butter sauce over each potato.
- Step 9 Add a little parsley to the top and if you want you can add some parmesan cheese. This is optional. I made half with and a half without!
- Step 10 Place them under the broiler until they are golden and crispy. Serve right away!